CALL FOR SESSIONS I Extended deadline: September 20, 2023
The 18th Docomomo International Conference in Chile 2024 will have a call for sessions prior to the call for papers. The submission of session proposals in a comparative and interdisciplinary way will be greatly encouraged. In order to open up opportunities of discussion of Modern Movement architecture, its conservation in relation to sustainable design, from […]
The 18th Docomomo International Conference in Chile 2024 will have a call for sessions prior to the call for papers. The submission of session proposals in a comparative and interdisciplinary way will be greatly encouraged. In order to open up opportunities of discussion of Modern Movement architecture, its conservation in relation to sustainable design, from comprehensive and extended fields of knowledge and points of view, proposal submissions dealing with the following sub-themes are encouraged:
- Landscapes and territories of the modern movement. New purposes for obsolete infrastructure, relationship with nature, mining, geographies.
- Better cities. Modern towns, intermediate cities, urban design.
- Public spaces and urban complexes. Housing, urban nature culture, ecological approaches, community recreation and leisure.
- Education and design. Modern values and adaptive reuse, didactics, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches.
- Modern interiors conservation and everyday life. Adaptivity, furniture, crafts, and industrial design.
- Earthquakes and sustainable technologies. Material and modern architecture, concrete, glass, wood.
- Modernity and diversity. Activism, community participation, gender, cultural legitimacy, geographical approaches, other modernisms.
- Theories and histories for conservation and sustainability. Narratives, archives, curatorial practices, exhibitions.
- New generations for modern futures. Generational studies, social entrepreneurship, innovation, changemakers, critical thinkers, new media, social networks, commons.
The session must have a title and will be related to the thematic areas of the conference, have one or two organisers/chairs, preferably from different affiliations. The type of session would be a regular paper session (1h40, max. 4/5 papers); or a roundtable. Innovative session formats are welcome.
The session abstract would have a maximum of 600 words, and the description must point to a coherent and focused topic related to the thematic areas of the conference, clarify the goals and the relevance of the session, define a leading question, key issues, the scientific relevance of the session in the context of the recent state of the art and a list of potential themes that will particularly fit in with the goals of the session.
The sessions may also have sponsors related to research projects, research groups, public institutions, universities, or other organizations. Each session chair is expected to fund their own travel and expenses to Santiago de Chile. Session chairs must register at the 18th International Docomomo Conference by January 5, 2024, and are required to pay the non-refundable conference registration fee as a show of their commitment.
The event will take place in Santiago de Chile between the 10th and the 14th of December 2024.
More information: https://docomomoconference2024.com/calls-sessions/